Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What does XTRRA stand for?

A: XTRRA stands for X-band Teaching and Research RAdar.

Q: Where is the XTRRA located?

A: XTRRA is located in the radome on top of Wang Hall, on Northwestern Avenue.

Q: Who paid for the XTRRA?

A: The XTRRA was jointly funded by Purdue's College of Science, College of Engineering, the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships, and Purdue Polytechnic Institute.

Q: Who is in charge of projects involving the XTRRA?

A: The principal investigator is Dr. Robin Tanamachi (rtanamachi at purdue dot edu) of the EAPS department. Co-PIs include Dr. Ernie Agee (EAPS), Dr. Michael Baldwin (EAPS), Dr. Daniel Dawson (EAPS), Dr. Dimitri Peroulis (ECE), Dr. James Krogmeier (ECE), Dr. James Garrison (AAE), Dr. Tom Carney (SATT/PPI), and Dr. David Love (ECE).

Q: What wavelength is the XTRRA?

A: The XTRRA operates at X-band (wavelength 3 cm).

Q: Is the XTRRA dual-polarized (dual-pol)?

A: Yes, it has dual-linear polarization.

Q: What is the brand and model of the XTRRA? Can you give me some more technical details?

A: The XTRRA is an RXM-25 from Ridgeline Instruments.

Q: Can I access the data feed from the XTRRA? Can I access data for a particular date, time, or case?

A: Yes, but it requires a paid subscription. Contact Prof. Tanamachi for details.

Q: Why aren't the data free?

A: We need to collect fees from users in order to offset the cost of maintenance for the XTRRA. This maintenance ensures maximum uptime and high data quality. A recharge center has been established at Purdue to handle this transparently.

Q: I have a question that is not listed here. Whom do I ask?

A: Send your question via email to purdue dot xtrra at gmail dot com. We welcome questions and feedback!

Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, 550 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907 • Phone: (765) 494-3258 • Fax: (765) 496-1210 • Contact Us

Copyright © 2018 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact the College of Science Webmaster.